Friday, May 13, 2011

Morroccan Magic

Sometimes I get these great ideas that I can do "X" amount of things on my 1 hr lunch break. Like make lunch....and dinner. *Magic*

Yea.

I had all these poor veggies that were waiting to be used and so I decided i'd try to make some kind of morroccan inspired dish~specifically a take on a tagine. I've always had a sweet tooth and the thought of adding dried fruit to a savory dish had always intrigued me..until now.

I'm undecided on how I feel about this addition to the dish. I either cooked it too long or need more fruit. They certainly did plump though...

Personally, I loved it. I think it was tasty as is...may work on balancing the spices a bit more though.



Side Note: As i'm writing this post, I think..wait, I need the recipe. I then realized I forgot to write it down..oops. Good thing my food memory is better that my regular memory :)

The ingredients list may be long..but it is seriously so simple!

Morroccan "Magic" Tagine
2 T canola oil
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1 t minced garlic
1 t minced ginger
2 t cumin
1 t turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
1 t red pepper flakes
2 c chopped broccoli
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 large zucchini, diced
2 c fresh spinach
1 can diced tomatoes
3 oz tomato paste
2 c vegetable broth (I used 2 c water + 2 t vegetable base)
1/4 c golden raisins
6 dried apricots, chopped

1. In a large pan, heat canola oil. Add onion. garlic & ginger and cook 2 minutes.
2. Add spices~cook 1 minute.
3. Add vegetables, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste & dried fruit. Simmer 20-30 minutes until veggies are tender.

So good. And it took me 15 minute to make (minus cooking time). You could use just about any vegetable in here (would probably either decrease the amount of broccoli & sub in another vegetable or use something different--tends to get a little overcooked the second time around). Served mine over couscous topped with sunflower seeds (I am REALLY loving these lately!) along side of roasted chickpeas. mmmm.

If I am going to be making more morroccan inspired food, i'll be needing one of these in my life. Don't you agree?? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment