Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I need protein!!!!!!

Those were the words I was greeted with last night. Luckily, I had something in mind...something delicious. After some reassurance that dinner would be packed with protein I was left to my own imagination. I already knew exactly what I was making. What I was craving was a lovely pile of spaghetti smothered in a delicious italian sausage "gravy" as some Italians might call it. And that's exactly what I got..






Wait, I thought it said you were vegetarian~ish?!?

I love Italian sausage! The very thought of it makes my mouth water. So you can imagine my excitement when I found these....



Original Field Roast Grain Meat Co. Italian "Sausages"

Made by the same folks who produce the "sausage" that I talked about here. So, when I saw the Italian version, I snatched them up. Thought I could try to fool the BF but he's on to me :) These were SO delicious. Can't wait to make a Hoagie out of them.

What's in them? The ingredients list reads:
Vital wheat gluten, filtered water, expeller pressed safflower oil, red wine, eggplant, onions, naturally flavored yeast extract, garlic, barley malt, dried red bell pepper, fennel seed, granulated garlic, spices & sea salt.
Not bad.

Since I was on a roll with substitutions, I added to the menu something I've been wanting to try for a while but was intiminated by. Spaghetti squash. Felt silly when I saw how easy it was! So Simple:
1) Cut squash in half lengthwise~you will need to use a SHARP knife and a little muscle...be careful its pretty solid!
2) Scoop out seed.
3) Place cut side down in a baking pan
4) Cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30-40 min, until the skin is tender to the touch.
5) Scrape flesh with a fork lengthwise to remove "strands" of spaghetti squash (you'll need a towel to hold the squash in your hand..ITS HOT!)
EASY!

As for the sauce, I started it off with some garlic sauteeing in olive oil. Next add about a cup of fresh spinach leaves & 1/4 c chopped peppers as well as the "sausage". Cook in 1 1/2 c. pasta sauce (I use homemade) and simmer it all together for about 20 minutes. mmm mmm mmmmmmmmm

So, for those who think you may be missing out on protein on a meatless diet we'll do a comparison:
Italian "Sausage", 92 grams (around 3 1/4 oz)
Calories 240
Fat, g 10
Fiber, g 4
Protein, g 28

Italian Sausage, 92 g
Calories 318
Fat, g 28.8
Fiber, g 1
Protein, g 13.1

BOOYAA!! Even I couldn't believe the vegetarian "sausage" was WAY higher in protein than the real deal..if that doesn't make a believer out of someone who's afraid they won't get their protein in eating a plant based diet, I don't know what will.....or do I?

2 comments:

  1. I have picked these sausages up atleast 3 times and put them back. Would you recommend them? I eat plant-based for about 3 months and meatless since September and every once in a while I still want some meat. I have been considering spaghetti squash as well. Dare i give both a try in one meal? I think I will... as soon as I can get my hands on some "sausage".

    ReplyDelete
  2. @weightsandmeasures
    I think you should definitely try the Italian "sausages" and the spaghetti squash meal! Mighty tasty meal in my opinion :) The apple and sage version were good..probably wouldn't buy those as often though. I have some in the freezer to try in stuffing! I'll let you know how that turns out :)

    ReplyDelete