Saturday, April 2, 2011

Welcome....

With not enough things on my plate, I decided to add blogging. I love to read them (most any kind, though specifically food) & usually leave feeling inspired to whip up something delish....or do something to improve my life.

Case in point....
My new favorite blog i've been reading is edibleperspective{dot}com. Today I was reading through her last few posts and one happened to be about detoxifying your life by subbing conventional cleaning products with homemade earth-friendly products. Easy enough, right? Right! I made my own homemade laundry detergent this afternoon :) Very easy, few ingredients. Currently washing 2nd load now :) I recommend you check her website out if you are looking to do the same!

Moving on to other homemade goods...Dinner.
I have been craving burgers since giving up meat...maybe not the burger itself but the smell of the grill as they are cooking. mmmmmmmm. I've been thinking of trying out black bean burgers for a while and figured there is no better time than today..gorgeous grilling weather outside :)

Here's the recipe....sorry no pics, we gobbled them up :)

Sundried Tomato & Black Bean Burgers…For 2
½ can black beans, rinsed and drained
6 sundried tomatoes, soaked in hot water then drained
4 rounded teaspoons breadcrumbs
1 flax egg*
1 T nutritional yeast
1 t oregano, dried
1 t basil, dried
1 t Hungarian paprika
1/8 t red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper

Mash beans in a small bowl, set aside. In a medium bowl mix together breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, & spices. Stir until well combined. Chop sundried tomatoes and mix well into mashed beans. Once combined, add bean mixture to breadcrumbs and stir well. Form into patties and place in refrigerator to let rest. Grill 10-15 min.

*To make flax egg, combine 1 T golden flax meal with 3 T hot water. Mix well to combine. Set aside to cool before adding to mixture.

To serve: Spread sundried tomato pesto on both sides of toasted Kaiser buns. Sandwich between fresh spinach & balsamic onions. Yum yum ☺

These had great flavor and I can't wait to make them again! The only thing I wish was that they were a little less mushy in the center. I guess I was hoping they would be more meat-like (oddly enough). Any tips on bean burgers? I'd love to hear them!!
Until next time....

4 comments:

  1. Great start to your new blog! Looking forward to more! Stacie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if you flattened them more or baked them instead of grilling. Worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this is where it all began...

    Seriously, homemade laundry detergent? I've never heard of that - very cool!

    ReplyDelete