Saturday, April 9, 2011

Take me out to the ballgame!

Today was the hottest day yet here, by far. It was rumored to be in the 90's. I couldn't bear to check. While it may be great for you who have really "had" winter, for us it's just a preview of the next 6 months of our lives. Ah well, thank goodness i'm right near the ocean :)

Lots of running around to do today..needed to restock as we had to resort to ordering pizza last night...shame on me! Got to spend the morning with my mom & my little bro so that was nice. Too hot though...just too hot.

Not too hot to have hot food though (well after I had cooled off for about 4 hrs)! I have been on the search for eggplant for the last week~really craving eggplant parm. A guy at my local supermarket said there was a bad crop? Not even the whole foods store had it :( Well, instead of waiting for one to appear, I bought some zucchini last night in it's place. And wouldn't you know I found it today?? Ah well, next time.....anyways, dinner.

Sooooo good. I'm truly sad that there are no leftovers. Generally, you won't hear those words coming out of my mouth. Maybe because I know that there's so much variety, so many things i've yet to try.

Don't be put off by the ingredients list...

Zucchini Parm Sandwiches
1 large zucchini, sliced in half & then in 1/8" strips lengthwise (you'll see)
1 c flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 c breadcrumbs (preferably whole wheat)
1 T garlic powder
2 T + 1 T Italian seasoning
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
2 t minced garlic
2 T extra virgin olive oil
Mozzarella & Parm cheese as you please
Tomato Paste
Bread (I used an herb focaccia bread)

Be prepared for breading. I advise using one hand for dry, one hand for wet.
Container #1) Flour mixed with 1/2 T salt
Container #2) 2 eggs, beaten
Container #3) Breadcrumbs mixed with garlic powder & 2 T Italian Seasoning

And that's how you'll bread, in that order.

And this is what it will look like once you've done so & placed it on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.



Preheat oven to 350. On a separate baking sheet, combine cherry tomatoes, 1 T Italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt & pepper.

Place zucchini & tomatoes in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Flip zucchini & give the tomatoes a stir. Turn oven down to 300 & bake 15 minutes more. Warm Bread and then try to hold off eating everything that's just come out of the oven! :) Layer: Bread, Tomato Paste, Zucchini slices, roasted tomatoes, cheese, more tomato paste, bread.

It should look like this.......



Drool.

Last night was opening night for our local baseball team. Could not wait to get out there. Just something about a live game as opposed to watching it on t.v. in my opinion. Wanted to go last night but was WAY too tired after work so we went tonight. Great game...we won! And there was fireworks :) Always makes my day!

I'll end this extremely long post with a couple photos from the game. Ready for beddddd!




0 comments:

Post a Comment